I thought I would share some of our tips and tricks to keep the lunch box fresh and fun (and healthy!)... I'd love to hear your ideas too!
- First off, I swear by the Rubbermaid Lunch Blox - Sandwich Kit . Not only are they easy to use, they are also the perfect serving sizes and we haven't had one leak yet! Also, NO sandwich bags needed!
- I have one "dipper" in the family and one "sandwich eater".
- You may have a "dipper" for a kid also, anything and everything than can be dipped will (and should). Things to dip with: carrots, apple slices, pretzels, and mini crackers (like a Wheat Thin) seem to be the top choices. Things to dip into: yogurt, cheese spread (may not be the healthiest, but my daughter loves this and is such a picky eater!), peanut butter and hummus. For her, the main course is a dippable item.
- For my sandwich eater I try not to get into too big of a rut with a peanut butter & jelly every day. Even though though that is a great option. My local grocery store has a new line of filler-free sandwich meats that taste really great so we go with those in a variety of flavors. To keep it interesting I switch between bread, pita pockets or sub buns.
- Sides include fruit, simple snacky items like pretzels or trail mix and a then a sweet piece of something like a fruit snack - although fruit leathers are much more popular around here lately or a piece of licorice.
What do your kids love the most in their lunches? Have you tried the Lunch Blox system? Like it?